Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Self Harm = Self Harm. End of Story.

So, there was something that I left off on my last post (Stop Hating On Self Harmers !!!).
It was that the usual self harm people talk about is "cutting". But why is that the only thing we label as self harm? It's definitely not. Here is a list of things that I consider self harm:
1. Smoking. Whether it's cigarettes, weed, cocaine, or whatever else you can possibly smoke.
2. Drinking.
3. Over eating.
4. Under eating/ self starving/ bulimia.
5. Fighting.
Everything that I just listed is a form of self harm. So why is it that we only target and label people that cut themselves? Why are we not concerned about the ones that are smoking cigs on a daily or drinking so much they need their stomaches pumped? Sre they not hurting their bodies? Are they not purposely doing what they're doing? Seriously what's the difference?
Why is it so taboo and extreme and psychotic for someone to cut themselves but perfectly fine and normal for someone to fill their lungs with smoke or swallow poison? 
We really need to reevaluate ourselves, people. I mean come on!!!
So many people die each year from the effects of smoking and drinking (I'm going broad with this, so don't be closed minded), and yet we don't call them psychotic and put them in mental hospitals!!!
It just angers me that cutters are the only ones looked down upon and shunned. As id they are aliens or the scum of the earth. I mean, if they're cutting themselves already why make the problem worse?
We all need to take a good look at ourselves and the things we say and do. 
Now, I'm not condoning cutting, even though I have done it myself because of my own reasons, but I'm not condoning drinking and smoking either. Sure, a little bit of recreational smokes and drinks is okay (You know, at parties and events, or to clear the mind a bit), but the line is crossed when that little bit of fun turns into dangerous and fatal outcomes. That's when it's time to stop. That's when it's really considered self harm.
So, my main point of this is... We shouldn't look down upon and label those that cut. Because they are not different than anyone else who harms their body in any way. Hell, that could even include tattooing. But that's another topic for another day.
Anyways, stop the madness people. It's all the same. Any form of self harm is the same. No matter the reason or situation or the form, it's happening and it's up to us what we're going to do about it.
Are you going to put someone down for their weakness? Or are you going to help them?
You decide.
Love, Nana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment