Monday, November 25, 2013

High School

So, high school was completely horrible for me. And I don't mean to sound like a typical teenager, but it really did suck. In 9th grade I tried every different hair style, extension, and dye you can think of. That was my most imaginative year. I really shocked the school with how I expressed myself. Not just my hair, but with my clothes and make up. Gothic maybe? Emo? Scene? Whatever. I was who I was. And honestly, I still don't know exactly who I was. But that's what high school is about right? Finding who you are?
It's just taking a bit longer for me. I graduated early (I should be a senior right now), and that's the best thing that could've happened to me. If I could tell all of you high school students this, I would:
HIGH SCHOOL IS NOT THE ONLY OPTION!!! 
Believe me, I thought I was stuck too. But there is a way out. Here are your options if you stay in normal high school:
1. Be the student that has a ton of friends, goes to every even/club, and genuinely have a good time.
2. Be a total loner. This eliminates the drama and rumors. Plus everyone thinks you're mysterious ;) 
3. Hang out with the "outcasts". You'll feel welcome and excepted, and probably meet some awesome people.
4. Have very few friends, and just keep somewhat to yourself.

Now, don't get me wrong. All of those options are great if you make them that way, but don't let others label you. And if they do, then so what. Forget them. All that matters at the end of the day is if you're happy with yourself and where you are, and your grades.
Here are your other options:
1. Home school. Now, let me explain. Home schooling isn't just about your parents, it can be at a local private school or program. Maybe even a personal teacher/tutor.
2. Middle College. You get your semesters finished faster, and you get a head start on college classes.
3. An alternative high school. They are typically smaller and more private.
4. Drop out and get your GED, (now its equal to a high school diploma, just ask a college.)

So, you see, high school is what you make it. There are many different options of how you make it through those four years. And if you do decide to just tough it out and stay in a normal high school, ask if you can switch to a different one if you don't like the one you're at. You don't have to stay in one place or do the same thing. The world is yours for the taking.

Back to what I was saying, I'm very glad that high school is part of my past. If I ever have kids of my own, I will do my best to make high school a great experience for them.
Who ever is reading this, just know that if you don't like your life right now, then change it. Whether it's making friends, dropping some, studying harder, or just leaving high school in general... DO IT. 
But remember, success is the goal.
Good luck.
Love, Nana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment